The Old Rugged Cross (On a Hill Far Away)



I
          A                                  D
On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross
        E                                      A
The emblem of suff’ring and shame.
                                                                 D
And I loved that old cross, where the dearest and best
             E                 E7                 A
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain:
              E               E7               A
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
             D                                A
Till my trophies at last I lay down.
                           F#7               Bm
I will cling to the old rugged cross
               A                      E7            A
And exchange it some day for a crown.

II
           A                                         D
O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world
             E                                    A
Has a wondrous attraction for me
                                                           D
For the dear Lamb of God, left his glory above
        E               E7          A
To bear it to dark Calvary.

III
           A                                                  D
In the old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine
        E                            A
A wondrous beauty I see,  for ‘twas on that old cross  
            D                                 E                  E7        A
Jesus suffered and died, to pardon and sanctify me.

IV
            A                                     D
To the old rugged cross, I will ever be true.
        E                                            A
Its shame and reproach gladly bear.
                                                            D
The he’ll call me some day, to my home far away.
                 E             E7           A
There his glory for ever I’ll share.

No comments: